Thursday, June 26, 2008

Introducing: Reader Rater

I'm not terribly impressed with the trend reporting in Google Reader. It doesn't seem to match well with how I use Reader. I'd like to have a somewhat better idea which of my feeds I actually read the most. Even more so, I'd like to know which feeds I don't really care for, so I can remove them, or at least reorganize my lists.

With that in mind, I sat down this morning (and into the afternoon) with a couple existing scripts, dive into greasemonkey, and firebug (awesome), and cranked out 'Reader Rater'. Clever, huh? It's a greasemonkey script, and it seems to be an ok first go at something. The script is here, and accompanying (brief) documentation here.

Let me know if you try it, and how it goes. If you find any bugs, or have any suggestions (easy to implement ones, please :)), please leave a comment below.

[While I was looking up references for this post, I found this script, and at first glance it looks pretty nice.]

1 comment:

sumidiot said...

Just realized this interacts poorly with, e.g., tagging items. If you want to tag an item, and the tag you want to use has 'z', 'x', or 'c' in it, my script steals that keypress and rates the item. Annoying.