Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Super Troopers

Super Troopers is one of my favorite movies. At some point recently I decided it was time to watch the Broken Lizard collection again. Then a friend pointed out their most recent just came out. So it's been a good time for movies recently.

As I was sitting down to watch Super Troopers, I thought up a fun project: try to pick a single frame "for" the movie. I haven't really been able to further describe what I mean... "advertising" the movie doesn't quite cut it, nor does "capturing", entirely. But something like that. So I pulled out a couple, and thought I'd share them. That's what the ends of semesters are for, right? Movies? I guess exam time was always Dr. Mario time when I was a student...

I've put a good line with most of the frames. It's not always the line going on in the frame, but it's nearby.

A friend who has seen the movie many times (perhaps not particularly recently) suggested the following from memory:
"Do we look like the two dumbest guys in the world to you?"

Another friend, who hasn't seen it quite so frequently, picked out the following scene (I grabbed what seemed a good frame to me):
"Good enough for me!"

There's a lot of magic in the first scene, but I'm not sure I found a particularly great frame. From it, I picked out:
"What'd you say man?"

Of course, one of the most-quoted lines, I expect comes at the burger joint:
"I don't want a large Farva."

But a good frame should probably be a little independent of the lines it suggests. There's a fair amount of humor tucked in this frame, but it might be a bit buried:
"Ten deep breaths, I got it 'cap."

This one's a little bit more obviously funny:
"Okee silly dilly dokey oh, I'm an idiot."

As is this one:
"Finish it up, rook."

I also like frames with the group, in uniform, but not looking particularly official, like:
"It's really funny 'cap. It's Afghanistanimation."

or
"Maybe we should take another look."

I think if somebody made me pick a single frame, it might just be this last one.

Apparently my point is you should probably just go watch it. And maybe let me know what frame(s) you'd pick.

4 comments:

Kate said...

The one that came to mind before I even looked at any of your screenshots was the next to last one.

Either that or something at or around "Ja I vas going vay too faaahst!"

sumidiot said...

@Kate I'm sorta impressed that that second to last frame range true for two of us. Certainly those Germans have potential... Good stuff.

Kate said...

Oh! I think I wrote that vay too fast. I meant the third to last one. The syrup chugging.

sumidiot said...

@Kate ahahah, that makes more sense. if they'd been chugging the catsup...