Monday, April 20, 2009

Learning Group Name?

I recently ran across projecteuler.net, a collection of intriguing programming puzzles with a mathematical bent. Before long, I had decided that it would be fun to get a group of my fellow UVA math grad students together to work through these problems. I've wanted to learn python for a while now, and thought perhaps others might as well, and that using the problems from projecteuler.net would be fun. So I sent out an email and have gotten several others who would like to join me, which is pretty encouraging. We're going to start after the semester ends, which is just a few weeks away.

When I was thinking about the group initially, I thought perhaps we'd organize some meeting time and talk about our code. But then do we print out our code and pass it around? Write it on the chalkboard? Perhaps bring in thumb drives and a laptop and projector and present out code to each other? And then I thought maybe just putting all of the code up on a group-run blog would be the best idea. We don't have to worry about organizing meetings, people can look at anything on their own time, and, for what it's worth, our work would be out in the wild for anybody to see.

My question is... can you think of a clever name for such a blog (one that you'd happily let us use)? My first thought, something like "Let's Learn Python", or so, isn't hugely fun. I feel like there's potential using π instead of "py" in "python"...

Once we get going, you can expect to see a link.

Update 20090513: Here it is: Leonhard Euler's Flying Circus!

No comments: